HTC EVO™ 4G
Sprint Evo 4G
Sprint is gushing about their new Evo 4G which will soon be more available in the USA although it appears sold out in some areas from pre-orders.
That’s right. The phone that captivated international trade show CTIA is here, and we’ve packed it full of features! A large vibrant 4.3 inch screen, dual cameras, 32GB MicroSD card slot and wicked fast web speeds, this is more than a phone. It’s a Mobile Hotspot for up to 8 of your Wi-Fi devices. It’s a high-quality mobile device – featuring Android™ 2.1 and the award-winning HTC Sense™ experience, and it’s your personal portable HD media center with an HDMI output so you can share in HD.
Hyperbole aside, the reviews from CNET, Engadget, and early users are very favorable.
Engadget summary: Let us be crystal clear: we love this phone. Nay, we adore it. But the fact remains that it’s still very much an Android device — which means that if you don’t like Android now, odds are good that even Android executed on the most amazing hardware to date won’t do much to change your opinion of it. You’ve also got to be concerned about upgradeability; Froyo is almost certainly around the corner now, and HTC hasn’t done anything to suggest it’s able to push Sense-powered updates in a timely fashion.
That said, this is truly one of the best smartphones ever made, and even spotty 4G — a reality of a young technology that’s going to take years to properly build out — probably won’t do much to hamper your enjoyment of this thing. It’s reasonable to assume that phones like the EVO will ultimately come to every carrier over the next few months… but hey, if you jumped ship for Sprint to pick up this monster, we wouldn’t be able to blame you.
I’m anxious to read more discussion of the 2-5 year future of iPhone vs Android devices, but maybe I’m missing something here to think that’s very relevant. Apple folks will always have iPhones and new folks will choose on the basis of factors that are not necessarily technological. It is very clear that mobile devices are already shaping the future in key ways, and there is plenty of room for many models.
Important plan and 4G coverage info from Sprint.
In a move Sprint hopes is not too late to the game, they’ve announced their latest and greatest addition to the Sprint line, the HTC Evo 4G. We’ve seen how powerfully the Apple iPhone has managed to maintain it’s solid position as the Smartphone of choice, so it will be a surprise to many if the Sprint HTC Evo makes more than a minor dent in the iPhone market. However, the capabilities are impressive:
HTC EVO™ Fact Sheet
|The ultimate multimedia experience at Sprint 3G and 4G speeds
The world’s first 3G/4G Android handset, exclusively from Sprint, HTC EVO™ 4G, offers a rich mobile Internet experience with a fully integrated suite of services built on the AndroidTM 2.1 platform. HTC EVO 4G includes a blazing-fast 1GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ processor, the award-winning HTC SenseTM user experience, an 8.0 megapixel auto-focus camera with HD-capable video camcorder and a forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera. HTC EVO supports industry leading features including Simultaneous Voice and Data while in 4G coverage and new Mobile Video Chat, the two-way voice and video service from Qik. The large vibrant 4.3 inch display, built-in kickstand, 3.5 mm headset jack and HDMI output make HTC EVO 4G an unparalleled platform for wireless entertainment. Download music, pictures, files, or videos in seconds – not minutes – and watch streaming video on the go on a network with download speeds that are up to 10 times faster than 3G speeds.1 With built-in mobile hotspot functionality, HTC EVO 4G also allows up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including laptop, camera, music player, video player and any other Wi-Fi-enabled device, to enjoy the benefits of 3G/4G speeds on the go.
- 3G/4G capability
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
- 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
- World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
- Android 2.1, with access to more than 35,000 apps on Android Market
- Simultaneous voice and data capability in 4G and Wi-Fi coverage areas, enabling Web surfing and more while talking
- GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
- Access to Google Goggles™ to search with pictures instead of words
- Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
- Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
- Visual voicemail
- Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
- 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
- 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
- 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.
- Video chat service available as an upgrade to the pre-loaded Qik app to enable conversational, interactive, real-time sharing between mobile devices or from mobile-to-desktop
- 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
- High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
- Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
- Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
- Live video sharing with Qik
- Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
- Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
- Sprint applications including Sprint TV® and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile(SM)
- Bluetooth® 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
- Built-in WiFi®: 802.11 b/g
- Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
- Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
- Dimensions: 4.8″ x 2.6″ x .5″ (LxWxT)
- Weight: 6 ounces
- Main display: 4.3” WVGA (800×480) 65K colors
- Battery life: 6 hours of talk time. Time may vary depending on 3G/4G coverage and usage.
- Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery
- Memory: 1GB ROM, 512MB RAM
1 “Up to 10x faster” based on download speed comparison of 3G’s 600 kbps vs. 4G’s 6 Mbps. Industry published 3G avg. speeds (600 kbps-1.7 Mbps); 4G avg. speeds (3-6 Mbps). Actual speeds may vary. Sprint 4G is currently available in 32 markets and counting, and on select devices. See www.sprint.com/4G for details. Not all services available on 4G and coverage may default to 3G/separate network where 4G unavailable.Note: Device features, specifications, services and applications are subject to change.